Monday, January 7, 2019

It's Curtains for 'The Cobweb' 1955

One flew away from the cuckoo's nest!


“The trouble began…” So begins the fevered film version of William Gibson’s novel, The Cobweb. Gibson, best known as the playwright of The Miracle Worker and Two for the Seesaw, wrote the story, inspired by his psychotherapist wife's tenure at The Menninger Clinic. I’ve never read the book, but somehow I don't think the brilliant Gibson plotted The Cobweb like another MGM Grand Hotel-style, all-star soap opera. 
Pulp fiction? Playwright William Gibson's novel.

The original casting for the film’s romantic triangle was MGM mannequins Robert Taylor, Lana Turner, and Grace Kelly—this was more apt for the super-glam soap opera. Instead, familiar film noir faces Richard Widmark, Gloria Grahame, and Lauren Bacall assumed the roles of the idealistic clinic head, dissatisfied wife, and the lonely art therapist—which gives the film a bit of grit.
Sensitive Stevie Holte talks about flowers, art, and life with the sultry and sweaty doctor's wife, played by Grahame.

Widmark’s Dr. McIver has the cockeyed notion that patients should be treated like people, not caged animals, which has the old guard gunning for him, natch. On the home front, his wife Karen is bored in EVERY way. Since the doc is an idealist, Meg, the other woman who pines for him, is also so very noble.
Chaos over curtains for the library!

The film depicts the institution's staff and family as neurotic as the patients. At one point, Widmark declares that he feels they are all trapped—yes—in a cobweb! Only in the melodramatic world of Vincente Minnelli would a film's drama hinge on drapes. And it's curtains for The Cobweb characters, as the various contingents are determined to have their way over the patient lounge's new decor: Lillian Gish as the domineering Miss Inch is aptly named, as she never gives an one, and wants the curtains made cheap; Gloria Grahame's Vicki needs a project, with money or permission no object; and Lauren Bacall's art therapist Meg has the progressive idea of letting an angst-ridden artist/patient design them. Who will prevail?
Susan Strasberg & John Kerr play two patients, attracted to each other,
who venture to the outside world on a date.

MGM's then-resident sensitive young man John Kerr plays the troubled Steve Holte, who runs away from the clinic at the start and near the end of the film! While his performance is as good as the rest of the cast, Kerr's somewhat feral looks make it easy to see why his career was short-lived in an era of Tab Hunter types. But I found Kerry quite effective. 
One of many strange moments, when Richard Widmark tucks in his unbuttoned shirt
without unbuttoning his pants!

Richard Widmark was one of those golden era actors who seemed so natural on the screen and makes the preposterous proceedings almost believable here. Gloria Grahame's natural brass as his wife gives the soapiness some much needed humor. Also, was it in Gloria's contract that she always must look slightly sweaty? I was getting a Maggie the Cat vibe from Grahame here, as the frustrated wife who needs to cool off.
Lauren Bacall got second billing, but fourth-billed Gloria Grahame got all the scenes!

The movie is so overstuffed with characters and situations that Lauren Bacall has nothing to do but look lovely and lonely from the sidelines. Bacall doesn't even have a scene of her own until thirty minutes in and her first kiss with Widmark comes near the film’s finale. There is pleasure to be found in Lauren playing a sympathetic lead rather than her usual snarky self. Then-rising star Susan Strasberg has it even worse. Aside from a few scenes with Kerr toward the end, Strasberg’s always in the group scenes. Surprising, since Susan broke out big in Picnic the same year.
Gloria grabs the fabrics situation by the horn in this climactic curtain scene!

Lillian Gish is amusingly hammy as the firebrand Victoria Inch. And whoever thought of Charles Boyer for Dev, the clinic's former head honcho, must have been out of their mind. As the deluded, drunken, ladies man, Boyer, with his inimitable French accent, is somehow stuck out in the Kansas cornfields. He comes across like Pepe LePew, especially when drooling over Grahame’s character. Was it considered clever to cast Hollywood's most famous neurotic, Oscar Levant, as a mother fixated patient? For me, while rightly famed for his wit, his screen presence always escaped me. 
Fans of golden era Hollywood melodrama will probably The Cobweb, but other movie watchers will probably draw the drapes on this florid film.
Gloria Grahame brings the fever AND the floral curtains to 'The Cobweb!'

FYI: I put all the movie overflow on my public FB  movie page. 

Check it out & join!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/178488909366865/


16 comments:

  1. Your review gave me almost as many laughs as the tortured acting in the movie! Nice job Rick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am as fascinated by films that are failures or quasi-failures as I am by classics... maybe more, if I was forced to admit it... Glad you enjoyed, cheers, Rick

      Delete
  2. I always wondered what movie I saw a snippet of Lauren Bacall in that was about a sanitarium. Thank you Rick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren also appeared in a '64 melodrama called "Shock Treatment," which was also set in a sanitarium!
      Cheers, Rick

      Delete
  3. this is great! you are a blogger after my own heart! you had me from the moment you called Robert Taylor a mannequin. Thanks for the intro to this movie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, sorry for the delayed response! It's a wacky film, but highly watchable! I just put up a new post, trying to write a new one every couple weeks again. Check it out, and cheers, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, is this movie a glossy swath of nothingness but perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon! LOVED your gorgeous screen captures of these wonderfully photogenic stars...big big fan of John Kerr from Tea and Sympathy and of course Grahame, Bacall and Widmark and McDowall...so it's worth the watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris, it was totally bonkers, but totally watchable, my favorite kind of guilty pleasure! Speaking of which, here's my latest! With a link to the movie at the end... been looking for a good copy online FOREVER! Cheers, Rick https://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/2019/01/ann-margrets-anatomy-vs-william-inges.html

      Delete
    2. I watched this tonight. I searched Goggle for "The Cobweb drapes" and found your website. Wow. I love movies post WWII through the early 60's so I get the soapiness quality and I love it. But I had never seen this one. I kept waiting for the plot to be deeper than than the drapes, but no. lol. But I loved the cast and the set decorations. My favorite part was seeing the wig atop the vase in Lillian Gish's house. :)

      Delete
    3. Hi, Bonnie, those mid-century soaps are a kick, aren't they? I'm glad you found my blog and check out some of the other stuff I've reviewed. Aside from faves everyone likes, I try to review the somewhat forgotten films, that always seemed to be on TV when I was a kid! Cheers, Rick

      Delete
  6. This turkey rightfully made it into the" Bad Movies We Love" book. I go back to it at least once a year to see if ever makes sense (it doesn't) I'm with you on the bon mot Oscar Levant. I never see what he brings to any of the films that cast him. I especially hated him in Humoresque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I usually find Oscar intrusive and grating in his film appearances! Cheers, Rick

      Delete
  7. Just seeing this for the first time 2022 .
    I just love seeing my favorite stars in a movie .
    I was surprised by some of them being in it , but I enjoyed it very much !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw 'The Big Heat'. Discovered Gloria Grahame (a new favorite) in that Film Noir. The Cobweb' is now on my list. The review makes it seem like it's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked Vincente Minnelli's small town melodrama Some Came Running, you'll enjoy The Cobweb. Very entertaining! Cheers, Rick

      Delete
  9. I just saw this posting because of the recent posting of shock treatment. I think this film is a lot better than people are credit for. Being a Minelli fan, anythind directed by him is always interesting amd worth some kind of attention. However, the film is probsbly doomed byvits premise. A lot sane and insane people get agitated over window trestment is just tad ludicrous, no msater how it is dramatized. As for the cast, I do think Gloria Htaham is a vast improvement over Lana Turner. Lauren Bacall at that point is the go to girl whenever Grace Kelly didn't want to do her assigned picture at Metro. Can't blame her. The part is dull. She did much better with Hitchcock. Charles Boyer was probably casted because John Houseman didn't deem Louis Calhern to be a star even though he is more suitable. Lillian Gish got great review for playing the nasty administrator. In this picture, bad and crazy people tend to steal the shoelw.

    ReplyDelete