Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Robert Wagner’s Starry-Eyed Memoirs



No tell-all, but Robert Wagner shares some super star memories.



Robert Wagner turns 92 on Feb. 10, 2022. I recently read his 2008 memoirs, Pieces of My Heart, co-written with Hollywood biographer Scott Eyman. I had mixed feelings about reading RJ’s story, and it had nothing to do with Natalie Wood’s notorious last night. I wasn’t expecting much in that regard, anyway.

I did enjoy Wagner’s memories of old Hollywood, which he embraced as a young man, but also put him out of step with the new wave of stars. I admired Robert’s tribute to the showbiz legends that he considered friends and mentors. For an actor, RJ’s realistic about his place in the Hollywood constellation. However, I believe that he was considered for another Robert’s role, in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, about as much as Joan Collins’ claim that she was on stand-by for ailing Liz Taylor in Cleopatra

I had also forgotten that RJ was a major teen idol at Fox back in the ‘50s. And Robert was indeed a looker who had a smooth charm. You got to hand it to Wagner to have kept afloat in the ‘60s, when his style went out, much like George Hamilton. I thought RJ’s calling cards were his great looks, distinctive voice, and flair for light comedy. These gifts came in handy for a second career as a TV star.

Robert Wagner when he was a teen heart throb at 20th Century Fox.

What I didn’t care for in this memoir was the pettiness that creeps into his stories. It felt at times more like score-settling than honesty. Wagner makes a point to show what a ladies’ man he was, with most of recipients of these romantic “reveals” conveniently dead. RJ also makes a big point to mention all the times he’s been hit on by gay men in show biz. Why bring all this up, considering that Wagner’s been long rumored to be bisexual? Sometimes folks say more than they realize, even show biz folks!

As for what happened on Natalie’s last night alive, it’s going to go down in gossip history along with other famous folks’ mysterious demises. All I will say is that Wagner’s more forthcoming about Natalie’s personal flaws than his own—surprise! Yes, film fans will fight about that night for decades to come. The way I see it, either Robert Wagner is the most misunderstood person on earth or he’s right up there with O.J. Simpson as the King of Denial. Either way, somebody will write another book, give another “shocking” interview, or re-open the case yet again—only to further muddy the waters while cashing in. The truth, as Tennessee Williams once wrote, is at the bottom of a bottomless well.

Another Robert Wagner &
Scott Eyman collaboration.

PS: Wagner wrote another book with Scott Eyman, called I Loved Her in the Movies: Memories of Hollywood’s Legendary Actresses. Film historian Eyman most likely did the research and writing and Wagner provided the remembering, though it’s all in RJ’s voice. Still, this is a fun look at what made certain movie divas great. Wagner focuses on the positives of the female film legends discussed, but is also clear-eyed. Whatever RJ’s contributions were, his history with Hollywood greats is amazing. This is because Wagner grew up well-to-do, around showbiz folk. He met Norma Shearer when he was a child, as he was school chums with Irving Thalberg, Jr.! RJ knew Gloria Swanson during his teens, when he dated her daughter. He was a stable boy where Greer Garson kept her horses. Wagner was Marilyn Monroe’s partner in her Fox screen test. And so on… his insights into famous film folks are fascinating, in that respect. I preferred reading Robert Wagner’s memories of other people, quite frankly.

My takes of Robert Wagner on film:

Joanne Woodward & Robert Wagner in "A Kiss Before Dying."

Here’s Robert Wagner as a murderous sociopath in an Ira Levin adaptation, A Kiss Before Dying:

https://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/2019/07/robert-wagners-killer-charm-kiss-before.html

Robert Wagner & Natalie Wood in "All The Fine Young Cannibals."

Here’s the only time Robert Wagner & Natalie Wood teamed up for a feature film, in the camp soap opera, All The Fine Young Cannibals:

https://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/2020/05/wood-wagner-wallow-in-all-fine-young.html


FYI: I put the movie overflow on my public FB movie page. Check it out!  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/178488909366865/

 







5 comments:

  1. I have no respect for the man........wouldn't spend money of any book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 92, good for him, he certainly kept his career going for decades and knew lots of famous faces. I read both of Robert Wagner's books and I agree with you, Rick, the memoir about the actresses he knew, "I Loved Her In The Movies," is superior to his own fairly superficial story. Loved the shade you threw with the Butch Cassidy reference, LOL. I met the charming Mr. Wagner at his book signings and he also autographed a gorgeous teen idol photo for me from his early career. I was a teenager myself when his hit TV show, "It Takes A Thief," was airing on ABC and thought he was supercool way back when. With all that has happened in his life, one does wonder if he's more like the character he played in "Two And A Half Men" decades later? I guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I need to check out "It Takes a Thief." Also, RJ claimed to be wanted by Paramount to play Guy Woodhouse in "Rosemary's Baby." That made me spit up my coffee! I had a mental image of John Cassavetes going blind! Cheers, always enjoy your comments, Rick

      Delete
  3. Not to be contrary (because I do hate it when people come onto a blog and only wish to challenge everything!), but I don't know if it was totally out of the blue that he might costar with Newman in "Butch Cassidy" when you think about the fact that RJ had been in a hit like "Harper" (with Paul Newman) and was starring in his own flicks like "Banning" and "Don't Just Stand There" around the time of development. (And then paired up with Newman again in "Winning" that same year.) And initially the people on "Rosemary's Baby" were looking for a Redford type (or perhaps RJ) for Guy because it might be more surprising to find the man was evil. John Cassavetes was scary all along! LOL 1968 seems to be the year TV (RJ's most comfortable and ultimately most successful milieu) came calling. "It Takes a Thief" has stunning female guest stars all decked out in late-'60s glamour. "Switch" and "Hart to Hart" were also decent successes. If I had to pick my own tale of his that rings false it would have to be of him bedding down with Barbara Stanwyck! I just couldn't get on board with that.... Not at that stage in her life (post Robert Taylor. Well post...) We may never know what happened on the Splendor but there are definite reasons why the people on board were not (and are still not) 100% forthcoming. Reputation? Shame? Guilt? Career security? What a sad mess. Thanks for listening! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Poseidon, I actually took out a comment about RJ being up for Guy Woodhouse, saying that I had a mental image of Cassavetes going blind when RJ got the part! And yes, Cassavetes instantly says villain, much like his pal Ben Gazzara! As far as Butch Cassidy/Sundance Kid, I know he's worked with Newman, but always in support. But who knows? And yes, I didn't mention Missy S., but when had her name ever been connected with men after divorcing Bob Taylor? The thought of then scrawny RJ with '50s tough Stanwyck always gives me the giggles! And yes, while I'm not totally convinced of RJ's story, we will probably never really know. Thanks for writing, cheers, Rick

      Delete